MD/MS IN UK
MD/MS IN UK
Are you contemplating on where to do MD/MS after having successfully completed your MBBS degree? At such a crucial stage of your career, it is important for you to realize that an MD/MS degree from a reputed institution in an advanced country will prove to be the much-needed career booster for you. So why not consider options in a global power like the United Kingdom for MD/MS in the UK which consists of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland? The United Kingdom is a parliamentary constitutional monarchy and is a world leader in most of the aspects despite having faced two world wars.
Consider the following
1. More than 30 Nobel Prize winners in Medicine are from the UK.
2. Around 50 universities of the UK are listed under the top 500 medical universities by QS World University Rankings.
3. Physicians from the UK have contributed in the discovery of split genes, researched on the chemical structure of antibodies, discovered penicillin, helped in discovering the functions of neurons, discovered insulin, worked on malaria.
4. These factors undoubtedly make UK a famous destination for pursuing MD/MS degree.
5. Universities in UK offer post graduation in clinical branches such as Cardiology, Paediatrics, Psychiatry, Orthopaedics, Gynaecology, etc. with a course duration of three years. There are various non-clinical branches also available such as Pathology, Anatomy, Forensics, Pharmacology. Their course duration is two years.
6. There are three routes to study MD/MS in UK. The first one is through sponsorship. The second one is through PLAB test. The third one involves observership.
Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board (PLAB) test
Many medical universities in UK require that any student who has completed MBBS from a country outside UK and wishes to pursue MD/MS from UK goes through this test. One can apply for this test at the General Medical Council (GMC) website. The test involves two parts:
Part I involves 200 multiple choice questions to test how you apply your medical knowledge in a given scenario. A short scenario is presented followed by a question and you have to choose the correct answer out of the given five options Fee- INR 20,691
Time limit – 3 hours
Centers of British High Commission in India- Mumbai, New Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai
Conducted- twice a year (in India and overseas), four times a year (in UK)
Results- four weeks after the test
Part II involves an objective structured clinical exam to test your clinical, practical and interpersonal skills. 18 scenarios will be presented to you in a mock consultation or acute ward setting.
Fee- INR 75,568
Time limit- 1 hour 40 minutes
Centre- Manchester, UK
Conducted- throughout the year
Results- two weeks after the test
WHY MD/MS IN UK?
Scholarships – Students who have scored 85% or more marks in MBBS are provided scholarships by universities in UK. Usually, those students are given a scholarship that has a noteworthy achievement in academics and are financially needy.
A safe country – Britain is known to be a peaceful nation and the crime rate is quite low. So, the students are quite safe.
National Health Service – NHS is a unique publicly funded set up in UK whereby proper healthcare is provided to everyone irrespective of their level of income. Medical colleges in UK make the students spend a couple of hours with the staff here so that they can gain experience by serving in NHS.
Flexibility of courses – Full time (2 years) and part time (4 years) courses are available. A student may choose his/her own module of study and can thus schedule his/her time better in order to engage in some part time job.
Affordable tuition fee – Universities in UK charge a tuition fee ranging from INR 18,00,000 to INR 20,00,000 which is very low vis-à-vis other nations. If a student in India fails to qualify NEET exam, s/he has to pay huge fee in order to pursue a medical degree in India. Fortunately, this is not the case with UK. So, students enjoy quality education at low fee.
Extremely bright career – Post graduation in Medicine done from UK is a guarantee to an illuminating future. Umpteen employment opportunities are available and one can work anywhere in the world.
Excellent infrastructural facilities – Magnificent machinery employed, matchless methods of teaching, captivating coursework, superb staff, are these reasons not enough to ensure a superior studying experience in UK?
Internationally recognized degree – World Health Organization (WHO), Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), Medical Council of India (MCI) and General Medical Council (GMC) recognize a medical degree from UK.
A student must have :
1. Mental and physical fitness
2. An adequate source of funding their education
3. Done PLAB (if required by the university being applied to)
4. Scored 7.0 bands(overall) and 6.5 bands(in each section) in IELTS
5. Completed MBBS with a score of at least 60% from an internationally recognized medical institute
2. Birth certificate
3. A valid passport
4. Statement Of Purpose
5. Completed application form
6. Medical Certificate and HIV Certificate
7. Minimum 2 academic reference letters
8. Parents’ Bank statement (at least of past 6 months)
9. Letter of recommendation in case of work experience
10. 4 passport size colour photographs(background should be white)
11. Mark sheet and passing certificate of class 10th, 12th and graduation
12. Affidavit certificate confirming that parents shall sponsor the student’s education
1. University of Oxford
2. University of Cambridge
3. Imperial College London
4. University of Manchester
5. University of Birmingham
6. University College London
All the above mentioned universities are Public Universities and the students are advised to prefer public universities over private ones in order to have a safe environment and an enriched experience in education.
To explore the wide-ranging fields in medical line in UK, fix an appointment with Phoenix Education now! Contact US – Click Here